Of all the accessories of clothing women wear, the bra is the most important – for various pressing and convincing reasons. However, when middle aged women transit to senior citizens or enter the age bracket where they are rightly called ‘elderly’, they largely have little regard for bras again.
Why senior ladies gradually develop disinterest in bras is business for another day. However, in the meantime, it is important that we take a close and considered look into why Senior women need to wear bras in the first place.
Why senior women need to wear bras
The reasons why elderly ladies need to wear bras are legion. However, in this article, we are going to treat only the very important/germane ones. They are:
- As women grow older, the tendons, skin and muscles grow weak, leaving little or no support for the breasts of the elderly woman. Bras thus come to the rescue, ensuring that the much needed support is offered.
- Bras, give the breasts of a woman shape – irrespective of her age – the senior lady inclusive. Accordingly thus, bras are compulsory for the aged woman who still wants to look beautiful and attractive.
- The active elderly Senior lady that does not frequently wear bra will discover that at the end of the day, she will have unexplained chest and back pain…this is particularly so if she has big mammary glands. The solution, of course, is to ensure that her breasts are properly cared for by means of a bra.
- Still related to active elderly women, failure to wear a bra will see their breasts dangling during physical activity. This does not leave a good impression neither is it a mark of civilization.
- Finally, the breasts of elderly women are naturally saggy and infirm. This is no fault of theirs but is as a result of age and often, childbirth. To ensure that their breasts take a firm shape again (as they were when they were teenagers), bras are necessary.
- What to look for when buying bras for elderly women
- Best comfortable bras for seniors: Our top 10 picks
- 1. Olga Women’s To a Tee Front-Close Contour Bra
- 2. Warner’s Women’s This is Not a Bra Full-Coverage Underwire Bra
- 5. Playtex Women’s 18-Hour Ultimate Lift And Support Wire-Free Bra
- 6. Carole Martin Women’s Full-Freedom Comfort Bra
- 7. Bali Women’s Comfort Revolution Convertible Wirefree Bra
- 8. Delimira Women’s Comfort Underwire Full Coverage Non-Foam Racerback Front Closure Bra
- 9. Playtex Women’s Front-Close Bra with Flex Back
- 10. Glamorise Women’s Plus-Size Elegance Front-Close Lace Underwire Bra
- Wrap Up
What to look for when buying bras for elderly women
When buying bras for elderly women, kindly watch out for the following:
- Buy bras that are easy to put on and take off. An elderly woman should not be bothered with models that prove either too difficult to put on or take off.
- Ensure that you select dull colors when you go shopping for bras as an elderly woman – or desire to buy a bra for an elderly woman. The reasoning is quite simple: their clothing should be more tolerating of stain and dirt than that of younger women.
- Finally, bras that are padded are best for elderly women. With padded bras, not only are they more comfortable, they also enhance the feminine profile of the user – a reality that most elderly females actively seek.
Best comfortable bras for seniors: Our top 10 picks
Here are our handpicked options. We trust that you’ll get the best bra that will not only fit and make you comfortable, but will also make you remember your teenage years.
1. Olga Women’s To a Tee Front-Close Contour Bra
The Olga Women’s To a Tee Front-Close Contour Bra is a super comfortable little bra that is super ideal for the elderly woman. Made of 83% nylon and 17% elastane, this bra fits exactly as expected, 85% of the time. Some of its features that endeared it to us includes stretch along cup edges and front closure, front adjustable straps for convenience, seamless molded cups that comfortably minimize the wearer’s burst without compression, built up camisole straps that offer great comfort and support without digging and a ‘comfort back’ technology that prevents straps from slipping off.
2. Warner’s Women’s This is Not a Bra Full-Coverage Underwire Bra
Forget the name of the Warner’s Women’s This is Not a Bra Full-Coverage Underwire Bra – its glory is far more than what its name is up to. For instance, the bra fits as expected, 88%, sports a hook and eye closure, offers full coverage to prevent an unwanted spillover (of breasts), features adjustable straps and has been voted “the most comfortable bra” from New York Magazine. What else is proof enough of the superiority of this bra?
3. Bali Women’s Comfort Revolution Wirefree Bra
The Bali Women’s Comfort Revolution Wirefree Bra ensures that its wearer feel super pretty in its delicately patterned wire free design. It assists in keeping the natural shape of the breasts with seamless foam lined cups that are very supportive and easy on the body. Importantly, the bra also ensures comfort by making certain that its underband provides unparalleled back and side support.
4. Hanes Women’s Cozy Seamless Wire-Free Bra
Hanes Women’s Cozy Seamless Wire-Free Bra fits as expected 72% of the time. This bra, with an easy pull over style ensures that users wear it easily and also pull it off easily, without any challenges. This is perfect for users who are aged or belong to the category of Seniors. With a further pull on closure system, the ability to tolerate hand washes and with wide straps and an elasticized band, the bra is certainly worth the attention of seniors and elderly ladies/women.
5. Playtex Women’s 18-Hour Ultimate Lift And Support Wire-Free Bra
For the crazy elderly lady who really wants to flaunt her curves and feel sexy again, the Playtex Women’s 18-Hour Ultimate Life and Support Wire-Free Bra offers the perfect solution. With a 4 way support system (frame, straps, cups and back), this bra is poised to show the best curves on the wearer that it finds…if this is you, then, go, get it! Further, the bra pampers the shoulders in a smooth and tender way, ensuring that overall, the wearer feels supremely comfortable, all day and night – or whenever it is worn.
6. Carole Martin Women’s Full-Freedom Comfort Bra
The original Carole Martin Women’s Full-Freedom Bra is designed for light to medium supports. The bra traditionally fits B, C, and D cups. It works primarily via a front hook eye closure for easy-off convenience. To reduce back strain and ensure that you’re very comfortable as you use it, the bra also features extra wide straps that stay on your shoulders, thereby helping to reduce unnecessary back strain. The most important point for this bra is that, it does not feel like the user is wearing anything at all. Can you imagine such technology and freedom?
7. Bali Women’s Comfort Revolution Convertible Wirefree Bra
Featuring stay in place straps, the Bali Women’s Comfort Revolution Convertible Wirefree Bra is one of the rare bras today that make complete sense, comfort wise. Its convertible and completely adjustable straps are attached to stretch foam cups for flexibility and comfort. The bra is machine washable – enabling elderly users to pile it with other clothing right in the washing machine and do justice with the entire washing lot. If you really desire the best option as an elderly woman and see the best in terms of bra as comfort and versatility, then, this bra, without much ado, should be your chosen option.
8. Delimira Women’s Comfort Underwire Full Coverage Non-Foam Racerback Front Closure Bra
The Delimira Women’s Comfort Underwire Full Coverage Non-Foam Racerback Front Closure Bra is a supremely comfortable bra that gives all round support and uplift with underwire and full coverage cup. This has the effect of helping the breasts stand firmer than they ordinarily would – thereby bringing up a perfect physique that many elderly women had thought impossible a long time ago. Further, its front closure design brilliantly eliminates uncomfortable metal hooks and is very easy to wear off – ensuring less stress for the Senior user overall. For the elderly user with boobs that are naturally saggy with age, this bra will certainly do a great job ensuring that the wearer’s lost glory is restored back.
9. Playtex Women’s Front-Close Bra with Flex Back
Senior ladies and elderly women who desire a bra that offers custom fit support all day long will not be disappointed with the Playtex Women’s Front-Close Bra with Flex Back. This bra offers full cup support of the breasts and is completely designed without any wires present in it. This is the cardinal reason why it affords all day comfort without any challenge. The elderly user will particularly appreciate the larger hooks and eyes that fasten with ease, ensuring that putting on the bra and taking it off is as simple as ABC. The most important feature of this bra, however, is that, its beautiful microfiber jacquard cups give an exceedingly smooth look under the clothes – enhancing the overall profile and dress sense of the wearer.
10. Glamorise Women’s Plus-Size Elegance Front-Close Lace Underwire Bra
The Glamorise Women’s Plus-Size Elegance Front-Close Lace Underwire Bra is the last option on our list of the 10 best comfortable bras for Seniors. However, it is not the least. As a matter of fact, when the features of the bra such as moisture-wicking bottom cups, ability to hand wash the bra, all day comfort wide shoulder straps and side-smoothing shape that enhances flattening silhouette are thoroughly looked at in a holistic manner, the bra could easily have made it to the top spot. These features are the features we believe that the average elderly female will be very comfortable with.
There is no reason you should dread bras – as an elderly female…this article has made certain of that. Further, it has also made certain that you are introduced to the reasons why – and importantly, offers you 10 options that you should take a close and interested look at. We sincerely hope you find the option that fits you best and keeps you ultimately comfortable the longest.