Best Stationary Exercise Bikes for Seniors
The years of ‘seniorhood’ are truly golden, gray, and filled with awesome memories and good old wisdom of yore 🙂
However, as every elderly person or caregiver knows and thoroughly understands, these years are also the years of failing health and a steady decline in the ability to help oneself to otherwise simple and previously non-tasking activities like (physical) exercise.
However, since exercise is very important to the continued excellent health of seniors, slowing down the overall aging process and boosting confidence and self-esteem levels, it is an essential ‘tonic dose’ that all elderly persons should endeavor to take from time to time and if the body tolerates, on a regular basis.
How is this possible — you might wonder as a senior or caregiver…especially with clearly failing health and a body that is surely done with jumping up and down in the name of exercise?
That’s where stationary exercise bikes come in.
- What is an exercise bike?
- Why is a stationary exercise bike necessary for seniors?
- Best stationary bikes for seniors: Things to look out for before buying
- Best stationary exercise bikes for seniors (review)
- 1. Exerpeutic 400XL Folding Recumbent Bike
- 2. Marcy ME 709 Recumbent Exercise Bike
- 3. Exerpeutic 2000 High Capacity Programmable Magnetic Recumbent Bike
- 4. Schwinn 230 Recumbent Bike
- 5. PROGEAR 555LXT Magnetic Tension Recumbent Bike
- Wrap Up
What is an exercise bike?
An exercise bike, sometimes called an exercycle or a stationary bicycle is an exercise device engineered with pedals, a saddle, handlebars (and other features such a display dashboard) meant for exercise, instead of the traditional function of a bicycle, which is transportation.
Typically without conventional wheels, an exercise bike provides the needed stability and safety for those who for various reasons cannot use a conventional bicycle for the purpose of exercise. The old, elderly or senior citizens are a classic example of such persons.
Why is a stationary exercise bike necessary for seniors?
There are many reasons that make getting the best stationary exercise bike one of the biggest and most important investments in the world. However, the ones listed below are the most prominent and clearly, most pressing:
- It is the most practical option: riding a bike on the streets when you are 70 years old is not exactly fun – or practical. The risks are simply too much.
- An exercise bike is super convenient: unlike a traditional bike, an exercise bike can be used any time of the day or night. This means that a senior can actually use them any time of day, even in the dead of night, right in his/or her bedroom.
- A stationary bike poses no risk of accidents: riding an ordinary bicycle means being exposed to the risk of accidents, something that is not ideal for seniors, given their age, declining health status and generally, lower body immunity. A stationary bike dispenses of these cares, worries and concerns.
- An exercise bike is super fun: getting to actually exercise as an elderly person or motivating a senior Citizen to exercise is not easy. This is because over a certain age, exercise does not appear much fun again. An exercise bike ensures that fun is brought back to the exercise scene for the elderly again. When this happen, exercise becomes second nature!
- A stationary bicycle ensures that exercise progress is actively monitored: most exercise bikes have a ‘dash board’, an LCD screen that displays all the vital stats of an exercise session. With it, elderly users can easily tackle their exercise progress and set goals that would be easy to both achieve and monitor on the way.
Best stationary bikes for seniors: Things to look out for before buying
We have already seen that an exercise bike is a very important exercise aid for senior Citizens, if they are to stay fit right throughout life. However, before making the all-important decision to commit to a stationary bike, here are the things you should watch out for:
- Durability: a good stationary bike will last years to come and may even outlive the user…before committing to any brand or model, be certain that you’re opting for a durable piece. Bikes made of sturdy plastic and durable – solid but light aluminum often last the longest.
- Non bulky design: there is no point getting a bulky exercise bike, especially if space is limited. Getting a compact, non-bulky model is thus a must. If you have the luxury, opt in for a model that can be folded up to free up space when not in use.
- LCD Display: the stationary bike for seniors that you are interested in should have an awesome, wide and impressive LCD screen where the activities of the users can be monitored. There is no point exercising without any insight into what you are doing.
- Vital stats features/display: vital stats such as heart rate and pulse should also be featured on the LCD screen of your chosen stationary exercise bike for seniors. There is little point in simply displaying mechanical metrics when health related metrics can also be brilliantly (and beneficially) featured.
- Solid base: before you settle on the best exercise bike for a senior or an elderly person, kindly ensure that it has a solid base/stand that will withstand vigorous exercise. You would certainly not appreciate an accident happening right in the exercise room.
Best stationary exercise bikes for seniors (review)
Settling for a stationary exercise bike that is super ideal for the elderly is not an easy task. Fortunately, we have searched the entire internet and here, present to you the very best options.
1. Exerpeutic 400XL Folding Recumbent Bike
The Exerpeutic 400XL Folding Recumbent Bike is a recumbent bike that supports weights to the tune of 300 pounds. It is engineered in a manner that permits it to be rolled away when an exercise session has come to an end, thus occupying as little storage space as possible.
Adorned with admirable and super practical features such as an 8 level Magnetic Tension Control system and a high torque 3 piece crank system, this stationary bike is a joy and wonder to both use and own, especially when its heart pulse and affordable price are factored in the overall picture.
What we like
- Large LCD display screen that makes reading on vital stats and exercise progress super easy
- Hand pulse sensors that accurately target heart rate and pulse generally
- 3 piece crank system that ensures easy continuous pedaling motion
- Foldable design that ensures unnecessary space is not used up when the exercise bike is stored
- Large pedals with safety straps (these are a joy to the elderly user)
- Large cushioned chair that provides supreme comfort during exercise sessions
- Durable transport wheels for mobility
- Ability to support weights of up to 300 pounds. This is impressive
What we Dislike
- When folded up, it can be clumsy to move the bike around
- The LCD display comes off only after 4 minutes, post usage. Many users opined that they would appreciate a dedicated ‘on’ and ‘off’ switch
The overall ratings of this stationary bike are super awesome and the reviews are raving! Users and customers especially love the large, comfortable seat of the bike and are supremely appreciative of the fact that the exercise bike is completely quiet, even when pedaling at high speed or on the highest resistance setting.
2. Marcy ME 709 Recumbent Exercise Bike
Looking to reduce fat and shed unwanted weight, right from the comfort of your room as a senior Citizen? The Marcy ME 709 Recumbent Exercise Bike is one of the choices you should take a closer and more concerned look at.
Powered with features that are only available on larger and more expensive bike models, the Marcy ME 709 fits into the smallest exercise spaces, is engineered in a compact design and comes standard with an awesome and rare 2 year warranty. Aside these super impressive features, this stationary bike is one of the very rare bikes today that has a super comfortable seat…so comfortable is the seat that you would be excused for thinking that you are actually sitting in a luxury SUV!
What we like
- Compact design that fits into the tightest of spaces
- 2 year manufacturer’s warranty – a reality that is rare on similar stationary bikes
- Adjustable resistance with 8 preset levels
- An impressive and large LCD computer screen that displays workout metrics: speed, distance, time and calories burned
- Very comfortable padded seat that makes the whole exercise process super comfortable and easy
- Foot-strapped pedals that ensure that the feet of elderly users remain in place during sessions
What we dislike
- This bicycle model is not for short people. If you’re less than 5 feet, you’ll have a hard time using/enjoying it.
- Some users opined that the adjustable ‘tension’ is stiffer than they would have preferred.
The buyers of the Marcy ME 709 Recumbent Exercise Bike are in summary, very comfortable with their purchase. The biggest accolades that they give this bike remain its ease of assembly (even a 72 year old user could assemble hers without any professional help) and super quite operations (users typically exercise right where their family watch TV and they do not bother them by its usage).
3. Exerpeutic 2000 High Capacity Programmable Magnetic Recumbent Bike
The Exerpeutic 2000 High Capacity Programmable Magnetic Recumbent Bike is one of the rare stationary bikes super ideal for elderly users. Armed with an ‘Air Soft’ seat that makes workout seem timeless and ensures complete relaxation and comfort during sessions, this stationary bike is something any elderly person would be proud to have around.
The bike also has a rare but very important feature that is indispensable so far as aged users are concerned: a ‘Step Thru’ design. This ensures that, users get in and out as easily as possible without the stress that is associated with using other models of stationary bicycles.
What we like
- Step-Thru design that ensures users get on the bike and off with the utmost ease.
- Super comfortable ‘Air Soft’ seats that ensure each workout is as comfortable as possible.
- Handy hand pulse monitor.
- Support of weights up to 300 pounds.
- 8 level magnetic tension control system.
- Large contoured backrest provided for comfortable back support.
- Transportation wheels for easy relocation of the bike (should the need arise).
What we dislike
- Some users complained about the lack of dedicated memory for this bike.
- The lowest resistance/tension proved too difficult for users who had health challenges or those who are too frail.
The users of this bike have one thing in common: they have opined that the bike exceeds all their expectations! Amongst the most loved features, users have maintained that they love the sturdy nature of the bike and importantly, are pleased with its super comfortable seat, particularly the ample backrest.
4. Schwinn 230 Recumbent Bike
The Schwinn 230 Recumbent Bike is one of the extremely rare exercise bikes that possess a dual track LCD window system that allows elderly users to monitor up to 13 different feedbacks simultaneously. As a ‘fitness motivator’, this bike supports 2 user settings and goal tracking to help keep users motivated and challenged.
Equipped with a very comfortable saddle – that also supports the lower back during exercise sessions, the Schwinn 230 Recumbent Bike also features in-console speakers, a USB charging port, a media rack and contact heart rate monitoring built right in the handlebars. This bike is truly a sophisticated and rare breed of stationary bike.
What we like
- Dual track crystal clear LCD window system (for better/advanced monitoring of exercise progress)
- 20 levels of exercise resistance setting
- Charging USB port and data exchange system
- In-console speakers
- Oversized console (super suitable for the elderly and seniors)
- Media rack
What we dislike
- The pedals are small – when exercising with larger than average shoes on.
- This bike is not very comfortable for users who are over 6 feet tall.
The sheer features of this bike have endeared it to users. Many customers have opined that the bike possesses features that are only common on pricier, high end bikes. Accordingly, they viewed it as a bargain and an absolute ‘steal’.
5. PROGEAR 555LXT Magnetic Tension Recumbent Bike
If you are looking for a stationary bike that will accommodate users up to 6’3 with an easy ‘Step-Thru’ design and importantly, an extremely wise computer LCD display for easy viewing, then, you should be looking at the PROGEAR 555LXT Magnetic Tension Recumbent Bike.
The 555LXT, further, allows users to program their workout goals – irrespective of what those goals are. These may be elapsed time, distance ‘travelled’ or calories burned. The awesome features chronicled above, coupled with the super compact design of the bike makes it a super interesting choice for tall, elderly users.
What we like
- Extra-wide LCD computer screen for easy viewing
- Step-thru design that allows easy mounting and demounting (super awesome for elderly users)
- 3 computer goal workout settings of distance, time and calories burned
- 14 levels of smooth, magnetic tension resistance
- Ability to accommodate users up to 6’3
- Extended cushion seat for supreme comfort
- Smart phone/tablet holder
- Smart compact design
- Transportation wheels for easy movement
- Oversized pedals for even the largest feet or largest exercise shoes
- Water bottle holder
- Super quiet drive belt system for quiet exercise sessions
What we dislike
- Some users who are not tech savvy complained that assembling the bike was not particularly easy for them
Because of the multiple options of this bike, many users report that they use it more than once a day. Aside this fact, the bike clearly is a ‘family’ bike – serving teenagers right to octogenarians who have various heights, weights and fitness goals.
If you’re looking for the best stationary exercise bikes for seniors (the elderly), you just read a detailed guide. Now, nothing should stop you as you proceed to shop for your bike. We wish you (or your senior relative) good health and a supremely fit life!