Best Velcro Slippers for the Elderly (Seniors)
Are you a senior or a caregiver looking for shoes that are light and easy for elderly people to wear and move around?
Then getting a good pair of Velcro slippers is your best bet. These slippers are usually worn indoors, but they can equally serve as fashion slippers and are ideal for seniors battling with health conditions such as swollen feet, arthritis, and diabetes.
Velcro slippers come in different shapes, sizes and types. The types include closed slippers, sandal slippers, evening slippers, slipper boots, slip-on slippers, etc.
An ideal pair of slippers meant for seniors should have good friction to prevent falls and, equally importantly, be easy to wear and quite comfortable to walk around in.
- What are Velcro slippers?
- Why are Velcro Slippers good for the elderly?
- What to look for when buying Velcro slippers for seniors
- Review: Top Velcro slippers for elderly men
- 1. Foamtreads Men’s Doctor Charcoal Wool Slippers
- 2. Old Friend Men’s Adjustable Strap Slipper
- Top Velcro slippers for elderly women
- 1. Acorn Women’s Spa Wrap Slipper
- 2. Orthaheel Women’s Relax Slipper
What are Velcro slippers?
Velcro slippers are comfortable, ultra-lightweight and extra wide slippers that come with an adjustable Velcro brand strap, which made of a hook and loop system. They are gentle on the skin, pain-free, and are easy to wear and pull off without assistance.
Velcro slippers come with various features and are of different varieties. While some are made for fashion, others are made specifically for seniors whose feet have become swollen and painful due to health conditions like arthritis and diabetes. However, most types can serve both purposes perfectly.
Irrespective of the design, Velcro slippers are generally washable and durable. And they do not cost a fortune.
Why are Velcro Slippers good for the elderly?
Velcro slippers are lace-less and rather come with a Velcro hook-and-loop strap, which makes them perfect for the elderly ones.
Wearing them saves seniors from undergoing the stress of tying shoelaces, which are not meant for slippers in the first place, are cumbersome, and could even be very dangerous at times.
So, with Velcro slippers to the rescue, elderly people won’t have to bother about shoelaces getting loose while walking and having to re-tied, or even getting trapped in an object while walking and leading to a dangerous fall.
What to look for when buying Velcro slippers for seniors
Before you finally decide to buy any pair of Velcro slippers for the elderly, here are few things to consider to avoid making the wrong choice
- Size: For most elders, the size of their feet changes with age. Therefore, the current foot size should be taken into consideration. Slippers of inappropriate sizes could cause difficulty in walking and wearing as well as foot fractures.
- Weight: For seniors, especially those struggling with excess weight and joint issues, lightweight slippers are the best. So, the lighter your choice is, the better.
- Comfort: Nothing beats moving around in the most comfortable Velcro Slippers. Tight or high-heeled slippers are usually not recommended for the elderly. Rather simple flat types with sturdy build and padding should be worn by seniors
- Features: Before making a choice, pay attention to the specific features of the type in question and its suitability for the elderly.
- Durability: The quality of the slippers you choose is vital. Good Velcro slippers should, therefore, be long lasting to save you from buying a new pair too soon.
- Color: Usually, when you buy a pair of slippers that come in a color that does not appeal to you, chances are you won’t wear it as much as you would a color that you really love.
Review: Top Velcro slippers for elderly men
Based on customer opinions, brand trust, durability, ergonomics, and other important factors, here are the two best Velcro slippers for senior men — in our humble opinion.
1. Foamtreads Men’s Doctor Charcoal Wool Slippers
The Foamtreads Men’s Doctor has a lightweight design with flexible and non-marking slippers to keep the feet warm. It has a 3-way secure, adjustable strap to fit your feet just the way you want it.
It also has a dual density of 100% non-marking rubber outsole, which makes it suitable both for outdoor and indoor use. The upper part of the slippers is made from a 70% wool blend for temperature stability lined with a removable Anti-bacterial Nylex foot-bed and latex foam backing.
As at the time of writing this, the Foamtreads Men’s Doctor Charcoal Wool had 86 customer reviews on Amazon.com with 63 percent being 5-star ratings and 24 percent being 4-star ratings. Overall rating is 4.3 out of 5 stars. Surely, all these customers can’t be wrong!
2. Old Friend Men’s Adjustable Strap Slipper
The Old Friend Men’s Adjustable Strap Slipper is designed to mimic an old-fashioned approach to sheepskin slippers, foam shoes and massage sandals. The strap is easy to open, close and adjust and requires less hand assistance to secure the slippers.
The plush sheepskin lining keeps the feet warm, even if worn outdoors. The skid-resistant and weather tolerant sole makes it suitable for wearing indoors to outdoors without needing to change slippers.
As at the time of writing this, the Old Friend Men’s Adjustable Strap Slipper had 334 customer reviews on Amazon.com with 65 percent 5-star rating, 15 percent 4-star rating, and an overall rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Top Velcro slippers for elderly women
Based on the same factors used to decide the best Velcro slippers for elderly men, here are the best choices for senior women — again, based on our opinion.
1. Acorn Women’s Spa Wrap Slipper
The Acorn Women’s Spa Wrap Slipper is just ideal for pedicures and relaxation. It features a super plush terry cloth, an easy slip-on style, memory foam combined with a well cushioned contoured foot bed which provides total comfort and a rubber outsole for solid traction. It also has a skid-resistant tread.
As at the time of writing this, the Acorn Spa Wrap Slipper for women had 481 customer reviews on Amazon.com, with 65 percent being 5-star ratings and 21 percent being 4-star ratings. Overall rating is 4.4 out of 5 stars.
2. Orthaheel Women’s Relax Slipper
The Orthaheel women’s relax slipper comes with a built in orthaheel orthotic foot-bed, which helps to reduce foot fatigue and provide the much needed support around the home.
The foot-bed is covered with 100% polyester terrycloth, and the terry lining possesses an adjustable hook with a loop closure for comfortable wearing and removal.
As at the time of writing this, the Orthaheel Women’s Relax Slipper had 1,710 customer reviews on Amazon.com. Of this staggering total, 66 percent were 5-star ratings and 16 percent were 4-star ratings. That’s 80 percent customer satisfaction! Overall rating stood at 4.4 out of 5 stars.