Even in old age, it is very important to engage in exercise in order to maintain good health. However, not all exercises are suitable for seniors and elderly people. Only light to moderate fitness activities are recommended for them. This explains why activities involving treadmills, upright bikes, or steppers should be avoided by seniors.
For seniors who enjoy cycling, recumbent bikes have been proven to be much safer alternatives to bicycles and regular bikes. This is because recumbent bikes are specially made for moderate exercise, and they provide proper and safe positioning during activity.
Recumbent bikes also come with features such as reading racks and heart rate monitors. So, elderly people who want to stay healthy and fit won’t go wrong with a recumbent bike.
- What are the benefits of recumbent bikes for seniors?
- What features should you look for in a good recumbent bike for seniors?
- Now, what is the best recumbent bike for seniors and elderly people?
- Exerpeutic 400XL Folding Recumbent Bike
- Large, comfortable and adjustable bucket seat
- Space-saver, foldable design
- Features and specifications
- Customer reviews and scores
What are the benefits of recumbent bikes for seniors?
Here are some of the general benefits of recumbent bikes that make them the best exercise bikes for seniors and elderly people:
- Physical benefits: Each exercise session on recumbent bike provides a complete cardiovascular workout, which helps to burn calories, maintain a healthy weight, improve circulation, and reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases. A recumbent bike also improves metabolism, posture, balance, flexibility, endurance, and stamina — without subjecting the rider to extremely rigorous activity.
- Zero risk of injury: Because recumbent bikes are used indoors, there is no risk of injury due to falls or crashes. In addition, they are low impact bikes, so exercising with them helps to strengthen the leg muscles without mounting pressure on the hip, knee, and ankle joints.
- Ergonomic design: Recumbent bikes have reclined seats, which provide comfort as well as proportionate distribution of pressure during exercise. The seat design also provides enough support, so there’s no need to hold the handle during exercise. In addition, the front positioning of the wheel allows for full stretching of the legs and makes exercising much easier.
What features should you look for in a good recumbent bike for seniors?
Here are some features to keep in mind when shopping for the best recumbent/exercise bike for seniors or elderly people:
- Moderate-sized and adjustable seat
- User-friendly design
- Strong build
- Bright electronic display
Now, what is the best recumbent bike for seniors and elderly people?
Truth is, the market abounds with different types and brands of recumbent bikes. To help you make the appropriate choice, we conducted thorough research and came up with our top recommendation:
Exerpeutic 400XL Folding Recumbent Bike
The Exerpeutic 400XL folding recumbent bike is, in our opinion, the best recumbent bike in the market at the moment because it has every single feature that makes an ideal recumbent bike. And despite its low-end price, it’s not in any way inferior to most higher-priced alternatives.
The bike is particularly suitable for seniors and elderly people due to its ergonomic seating and added stability. And it’s uniquely compact with a capacity to fold up into at least half its full size. So, seniors who don’t have a lot of storage space have nothing to worry about.
Large, comfortable and adjustable bucket seat
The Exerpeutic 400XL folding recumbent bike comes with a large comfortable, bucket seat that provides maximum comfort and support during exercise. It is suitable for users of any size and can be adjusted to fit users of any height between 5’2″ and 6’2″.
With the support provided by the seat, there is no need to engage the hands. So, those who enjoy watching television or holding conversations can do that while working out on the recumbent bike.
Space-saver, foldable design
Another amazing feature of the Exerpeutic 400XL folding recumbent bike is its portability. For easy storage, the bike can be folded into at least half its size. This compact size makes it easy to store in closets and car trunks. Even when folded up, the bike can be moved with the included transportation wheels, so carrying it around is so easy.
Despite its space-saving design, the Exerpeutic 400XL folding recumbent bike is very powerful and durable.
Features and specifications
- Supports a weight capacity of up to 300 lbs.
- Semi-recumbent design for easy entry and exit.
- 8-level magnetic tension control system (the user can adjust the resistance level to get an easier or a more difficult workout).
- Precision balanced flywheel and V-belt drive make the bike work quietly during exercise; it doesn’t make noise, so it won’t disturb when user is watching TV.
- Large, easy-to-read LCD display that indicates heart rate, distance covered, calories burned, time spent, and speed covered.
- 3-piece, high-torque crank system for smooth and consistent pedaling motion.
- Large pedals that the legs won’t miss during exercise.
Customer reviews and scores
As of the time of this writing, there are 1,302 customer reviews on Amazon.com for the Exerpeutic 400XL folding recumbent bike. Of that total, 848 customers gave a 5-star rating and 323 customers gave a 4-star rating. Only 45 customers gave a 1-star rating. The product has an overall rating of 4.5 out of 5. Now, that’s impressive!
However, there were a few niggling points raised. One customer complained that the bike isn’t suitable for very tall people, as he is over 6 feet tall. But most other reviews are positive ones, which partly informs our choice of the Exerpeutic 400XL folding recumbent bike as our top recommendation.
Exerpeutic 400XL folding recumbent bike packs all the features anyone needs in a recumbent bike, and it’s highly rated by about 90 percent of customers who have bought and used it. To cap it, it’s quite affordable. So, it’s the perfect recumbent bike for seniors and elderly people who are looking for high quality exercise equipment and are on a shoestring budget.