As a senior citizen, you need to exercise from time to time to keep your joints from becoming stiff. But it sometimes becomes a burden and seems stressful when it involves jogging or going out for a walk, especially during the winter when going out isn’t even an option.
At times like these, your best bet is to resort to exercise pedals. They help you to workout without the pressure of running on your joints. And they don’t interrupt your daily routine.
You still get to make calls, browse, read emails, or watch the television while exercising. In fact, you literally get to burn calories while being stationary.
- Best Exercise Pedals for Elderly People: Our Top 7 Picks
- 1. Vive Pedal Exerciser – Stationary Exercise Leg Peddler
- 2. Vive Desk Cycle – Foot Pedal Exerciser
- 4. YOSUDA Under Desk Bike Pedal Exerciser
- 5. Vaunn Medical Ultra-Stable Pedal Exerciser
- 6. TODO Pedal Exerciser Medical Peddler
- 7. Aduro Sport Foldable Pedal Exerciser
Best Exercise Pedals for Elderly People: Our Top 7 Picks
Choosing the best exercise pedal may sometimes be a tough task. Use this list as a guide to choosing the one that fits your lifestyle.
1. Vive Pedal Exerciser – Stationary Exercise Leg Peddler
Vive Pedal Exerciser is a great device to help you to increase your blood flow and regain strength. It is stable and so portable that it can easily be picked up with one arm. The exerciser comes mostly assembled and the only setup you’ll need to do is to attach the feet. Its noiseless feature makes it a good fit for quiet places like the library and office. The only noise you get is during the adjustment of the tension knob.
It is built with a digital screen that displays the distance you travel and the calories you burn. This is a good feature that encourages you to do more workout. The screen displays the figures immediately you begin to move the pedals and stops several seconds after you stop.
This easy-to-use exerciser allows you to do your workout as you desire. You can use it for a light workout or increase the intensity for a strenuous workout. All you have to do is to adjust the knob to any level you wish.
The pedal is made of hard plastic, so you may need to put on your socks or, preferably, shoes to prevent it from hurting your foot.
- It is noiseless and suitable for use in quiet environments
- It is easy to assemble
- The exerciser is strong and durable
- The resistance can be adjusted
- It doesn’t slide as you move the pedal
- It can be used for both arm and feet workout
- While this is perfect for the elderly and people with health issues, it’s not a good fit for anyone in good shape
2. Vive Desk Cycle – Foot Pedal Exerciser
If you want a fully assembled exerciser right out of the box, get the Vive Folding Pedal Exerciser. The only setup effort required to start using it is to screw up the tension knob. It has rubber feet that sit properly on any surface without wobbling.
The folding exerciser is a well-made and sturdy piece of equipment with excellent tension. It folds up easily by pulling the ring attached to each of its sides. It features an easy-to-read display that shows time, calories burnt, and other stats. The exercise pedal is silent and fits properly under the desk.
Just in case it slides while using it, you can place it on a sticky drawer liner to solve the problem. This would keep it still while you pedal it.
Transporting the exerciser from one place to another won’t be a problem since it is lightweight and can be folded. The folding ability also makes it take up little storage space.
The equipment is good for both arm and feet exercise. To use it for arm workouts, just keep it on a desk and pedal with your arm. It is very convenient to use while doing other things like reading and watching TV.
- It is sturdy
- It is foldable and takes up little space when not in use
- It comes completely assembled
- It is lightweight and very silent
- The display is easy-to-read
- The foot straps are adjustable
- It slides a little while you pedal it on the floor
- It gets hot after a long time of use
3. Vaunn Medical Folding Pedal Exerciser with Electronic Display
Vaunn Medical Folding Pedal Exerciser has a firm grip that keeps it from sliding while you use it. It is silent, lightweight, and comes fully assembled. It is great for arms and feet workout as it can be used both on the desk and under the desk.
To conveniently use it under the table, there should be at least 13 inches clearance between your knee and the table. This will prevent your knee from hitting the table while you use it. The pedal strap can be adjusted to fit feet of different sizes.
This is a unit with smooth pedaling that encourages you to do more exercise. It is a very good choice if you need an exerciser to keep your hip or knee from becoming stiff.
The counter display shows how long you’ve been cycling, the calories you’ve burnt, and the distance you’ve covered. The tension knob can be adjusted to increase or decrease the intensity.
This pedal exerciser is pretty strong and folds up quickly for easy storage. Its small size is an advantage as it can be easily positioned and used in front of a chair while you read or watch the TV.
- It is strong and powerful
- The feet have some rubber attachments that give it a firm grip and keep it from sliding while you use it
- It is smooth and easy to use
- It is a good fit for the elderly and recommended for physiotherapy
- The clamp that holds the arm is strong and may require some help to get it open
4. YOSUDA Under Desk Bike Pedal Exerciser
The Yosuda Under Desk Bike Pedal Exerciser fits perfectly under the desk. This is useful for workouts while using the computer or doing some other important things on the desk. It takes just 3 easy steps to assemble and start using it.
It is a high-quality mini exerciser designed with the elderly in mind. Although the resistance is adjustable, it has a low effect that is very suitable for seniors with weak bones. It is lightweight and has a perfect size for easy mobility. The silent pedals make it a good fit for use in the office or library. The person next to you won’t even know that you’re using it.
You can conveniently use the Yosuda Pedal Exerciser while sitting on a couch and using your phone. This is especially useful if you spend a lot of time with your phone and don’t have time to exercise. It makes exercise easy while you do what you love doing.
The device keeps track of your speed, the time you spend, the number of cycles you make, and the calories you burn. It displays these values on the easy-to-read LCD display visible on the top.
- It is easy to use
- It is built with the elderly in mind
- Perfect for use under the desk
- A great choice for someone who sits on a chair for long hours
- It is small and doesn’t require a lot of space
- It requires proper positioning to avoid sliding while in use
5. Vaunn Medical Ultra-Stable Pedal Exerciser
The Vaunn Medical Ultra-Stable Pedal Exerciser is recommended for anyone who is barely able to get out of the chair, walk, or climb the stairs due to the weakness of the bone. It is a versatile exerciser that is very sturdy and comes fully assembled. It can be placed on the table for arm exercise and on the floor for leg exercise.
The exercise pedal is so lightweight that you can easily carry it with you to work and back home. It is quiet, so you won’t have any problem using it at work.
Vaunn Ultra-Stable Pedal Exerciser is excellent for a senior citizen who needs stationary leg exercise as it can be used conveniently while sitting in a recliner and watching the television. Some elderly are able to get around but may choose to be stationary. This exerciser is perfect for keeping their old and frail body mobile.
The ultra-stable exerciser is well-made and simple to use. It doesn’t have bells and whistles as found in many others. These features are mostly not useful and may be difficult to use. The lightweight feature makes it easy to be carried around the home by older people, eliminating the possibility of accidentally tripping over it.
- It is a great choice for the less active elderly
- It is lightweight and very portable
- The tension can be adjusted
- It comes fully assembled. No setup tools required
- It is sturdy and stays in place while in use
- It has the tendency to squeak after long-term use
- It is hard to use while in a chair with wheels
6. TODO Pedal Exerciser Medical Peddler
The Todo Pedal Exerciser is constructed to be used on any floor. It has solid rubber feet with a firm grip while you use it on a rough surface. A non-slip mat is also included with the unit to keep it firm on smooth surfaces while you pedal it hard.
The device is somewhat heavy and substantial enough to work fine for a very long time. It is small enough to conveniently keep it under the desk. And it won’t get in your way while browsing, checking emails, or doing other computing work. This allows you to go about your normal routine while exercising.
This pedal exerciser requires little assembly; the necessary tools have been provided to ease the process. It shouldn’t take more than a few minutes.
The equipment is small, portable, and doesn’t make an annoying noise when you pedal it. It comes with a tension knob but doesn’t provide a lot of resistance. This isn’t really a problem since seniors will hardly notice this. It, however, still burns calories and helps to improve productivity.
- It is easy to assemble
- It is small and doesn’t take up much storage space
- It is sturdy
- It is quiet and doesn’t make an annoying noise
- The counter monitor is easy to read
- Getting to the battery is easy
- The calorie count is inaccurate
- You can’t reset the calorie counter
7. Aduro Sport Foldable Pedal Exerciser
The Aduro Sport Foldable Pedal Exerciser is excellent for arm exercise. It sits well on the table and adjusts properly to allow the arm to pedal it with ease. It can also be used for feet exercise.
This device is important when it isn’t practical to go out for a walk. It does help to keep you from having frozen joints when you’re less active and barely mobile.
It is sturdy and well-built. But it does raise your knees up high and may not be great for use under the desk for a tall person. If you have issues with the pedal strap pulling off on its own, you can easily fix it back and use your device.
Auro Pedal Exerciser is a foldable unit that doesn’t take up much storage space when not in use. It does slide when used on smooth surfaces like tiled floors. You can solve this by placing it against the wall or placing a non-slip mat under it. It comes with a tension knob that can be used to increase and decrease the resistance as you wish. Assembling the unit is quite easy; it can be done within minutes.
- It folds for easy storage
- It is sturdy and compact
- It is easy to assemble and easy to use
- The knob works well and the resistance is excellent
- The pedal strap pulls off too often in some cases
- It slides while in use on some surfaces
- It’s not great for use under the desk by tall people
Pedal exercisers are great for stationary workouts. They help to allow smooth blood flow and increase productivity. They are excellent for seniors who are not fit to go out to exercise or don’t have the time or passion for that. Pedal exercisers allow you to work out in your home or at work while you do what you love doing.