Answering nature’s call (by way of defecating) is pretty straightforward, especially if you’re less than 50 years. However, as soon as you clock 50, waist issues and other allied health challenges make it almost impractical to bend, squat or remain in a low-squatting position for any reasonable amount of time.
This is when higher toilets begin to make practical sense as a Seniors Citizen. It is also the perfect time to consider getting one if you’re to be bothered less about the pains and agony of low squatting and the imminent threat it poses on your continued (otherwise) good health.
- What are higher toilets?
- Why are high toilets ideal for elderly?
- Higher toilets for the elderly: Things to consider before buying
- Best high toilets for seniors: Our top 5 picks
- 1. KOHLER 3810-0 Santa Rosa Comfort Height Elongated 1.28 GPF Toilet
- 2. Toto CST474CEFGNo.01 Vespin II Two-Piece High-Efficiency Toilet
- 3. Kohler K-3609-0 Cimarron Comfort Height Elongated Toilet
- 4. Thetford Aqua-Magic V Toilet
- 5. Kohler K-3889-0 Highline Comfort Height Toilet
- Wrap up
What are higher toilets?
Higher toilets are nothing special. They are simply water closet type toilet inspired by either the gravity or pressure model. However, for a WC toilet to qualify as ‘high’, it must be of chair height – making it very easy for adults to both sit down and stand up before and after concluding their toilet business.
Why are high toilets ideal for elderly?
Seniors Citizens and the elderly, it has been long argued, have always found their legs and waists uncooperative. This makes squatting a serious chore for most with a plethora of others barely managing it. This makes defecation a chore since most toilets are designed in a very low fashion and need users to really squat in order to use them.
Enter high (or higher) toilet seats…
These toilets are ordinary toilets – except for the fact that they seat in a manner as high as a typical/traditional chair. Perfect for seniors and adorned by the elderly, these toilets for elderly are revered for the following 3 basic reasons:
- Squatting very low to ease oneself and standing up thereafter isn’t a funny event for seniors. In most cases, it exposes one to unnecessary risks that can best be avoided with a high (or higher) toilet arrangement.
- Most elderly persons have challenges with their joints – making it tasking and near impossible to use lower toilets (in particular, squatting pans).
- Finally, high/higher toilets present an ordinary seating experience for Seniors and the elderly, an experience that is not much different from sitting on a very comfortable office chair.
Higher toilets for the elderly: Things to consider before buying
Before committing to a high/higher toilet for elderly users, here are the things you should consider before buying:
- Ensure that your chosen model/brand is up to the height of traditional everyday chairs. For context, an average of a foot and half will suffice, though the final measure will be relative to your own height.
- Choose an easy to clean design. While most toilets today flout this claim, few actually remain true to it. If you’re confused, kindly ensure that you pick a toilet model that is made of Vitreous China.
- An economical toilet water-wise is a smart investment, if you are to spend less on your water bills. For context, a toilet requiring more than 2 gallons per single flush is not economical and accordingly, should be avoided. If you’re in doubt, kindly go with a model certified by WaterSense.
- Finally, get a model with a cover. While this appears commonplace, many models in the market today do not offer covers. This is unacceptable and may mean you may have to invest in a separate cover for your toilet.
If you’re looking for more tips on buying a toilet or have any questions – let us know in the comments below.
Having treated what you need to consider before buying an ideal high/higher toilet for elderly or a Senior Citizen, let us now take a look at the best options available online at the moment:
Best high toilets for seniors: Our top 5 picks
Carefully reviewed below are the best high toilets for seniors/the elderly. We sincerely hope that you enjoy our selection and get the perfect fit ideal for you.
1. KOHLER 3810-0 Santa Rosa Comfort Height Elongated 1.28 GPF Toilet
Few Seniors looking for a high toilet would need to choose anything aside the KOHLER 3810-0 Santa Rosa Comfort Height Elongated 1.28 GPF Toilet. Advertised as a toilet that is ‘small in size’ but ‘strong in style’, there is indeed little reason to doubt the manufacturers or for Senior Citizens to actually look elsewhere for an alternative.
The Kohler 3810-0 Santa Rosa comfort height elongated 1.28 GPF toilet is a model that seats users in the same manner that a normal chair does – dispensing of the sad fact of bending down very low to pass waste. This model appeals further by the inclusion of other smart features/technologies such as smart water use, an easy to clean design and a very powerful flush that is guaranteed to push everything right down the drain – with as minimal water as possible.
What we like
- High design that sits users as high as a conventional chair, alleviating the joint pains of elderly users in the process.
- An easy to clean design that ensures the toilet remains sparkling all the time.
- A smart lid and seat which are included as standard features (ensuring that users do not have to buy anything extra again).
- Powerful flush that uses minimal water to achieve its purpose.
- Small and smart size that fits into tight bathrooms and small toilet buildings.
- Economical and impressive gallons per flush (GPF).
What we dislike
- Some customers are not comfortable with the lid of this toilet and would prefer something heavier/more solid.
- Other user would have loved the toilet better if it were less quiet when flushed.
Customers and users of this toilet love the fact that it sports a one piece design, has a very powerful flush that sees everything in its way forced down the drain and despite all these awesome features/specs, still uses very little water.
2. Toto CST474CEFGNo.01 Vespin II Two-Piece High-Efficiency Toilet
The Toto CST474CEFGNo.01 Vespin II Two-Piece High-Efficiency Toilet is one of the most efficient toilets available today for the elderly/Senior Citizens. Built and engineered by the leading manufacturer of toilets and sinks, the model does not only ensure that elderly users enjoy the physical activity of passing waste but also sees to it that they actually do it in complete style.
The Toto Two-Piece High-Efficiency Toilet is powered by a double cyclone flushing system – a system that ensures very powerful flushes and makes certain that everything in the basin actually goes down the drain. Aside this, the model deploys the use of minimal water, a skirted design, universal height (chair level) and a chrome tip lever – all features that are very practical and handy, especially to the elderly user.
What we like
- Double cyclone flushing system that ensures powerful and thorough flushing.
- Low water consumption…this saves your water bills as a Senior so that your pension can be profitably used for other things.
- SanaGloss ceramic glaze finish. This actively prevents debris and mold from sticking to the toilet, making the cleaning process much more easier and fun J
- High toilet seat for easy sitting on and getting up, especially awesome for seniors.
- 12-inch Uni-Fit Rough-In included as standard package (this saves you the misfortune of needing to buy a separate one).
- Elongated front bowl and tank set.
- Slim profile that makes the toilet fit into really tight spaces and bathrooms.
What we dislike
- Some customers opined that this toilet is best installed by professionals. This means that, if you do not have a professional to assist you with the installation or the one you have is a quack, you may not get the best out of this toilet.
Buyers/customers love this toilet and are particularly appreciative of its skirted design that leaves cleaning optional and the sticking or dirt/mold, impossible. Aside these, users also appreciated the high seating it offers and are also in love with the fact that it perfectly fits into tight spaces with absolute majesty.
3. Kohler K-3609-0 Cimarron Comfort Height Elongated Toilet
In the business of awesome and reliable toilets, sinks and bathtubs, it is near impossible to ignore the name, “Kohler” – it keeps reappearing and for good reason too. Hardly do you see a company synonymous with quality, comfort and durability. Well, the words above aptly describe the Kohler K-3609-0 Cimarron Comfort Height Elongated Toilet.
Modeled in a manner that is leak conscious, the Kohler Cimarron Comfort Height Elongated Toilet has made certain that instead of drilling bolt holes at the bottom of the tank, metal brackets are instead deployed, completely discarding the use of bolts and ensuring that leaks are completely forestalled. When the extra comfortable seating and water savings technology (certified by WaterSense) are factored, you’re looking straight at one of the best toilets for the elderly available today.
What we like
- Vast array of colors to choose from instead of the traditional white color…there is even a black option!
- High/impressive seat profile.
- Extra comfortable seating.
- Greater water savings…this model is WaterSense certified.
- Powerful flush that pushes everything down the drain.
- Smart design that ensures that there are no leaks…this is achieved by eliminating the need for bolt holes and the deployment of a metal bracket in their places instead.
What we dislike
- Some customers complained about the packaging when the toilet shipped. It is their opinion that it could be better shipped.
- Users who are very short (less than 5 feet) complained that the toilet makes them feel particularly ‘small’.
Customers of this toilet are exceeding appreciative of its tall list of features. However, the feature that they love most and are most appreciative of is the supreme comfort the toilet affords. This is so even with very tall users who are well over 6 feet tall.
4. Thetford Aqua-Magic V Toilet
The Thetford Acqua-Magic V Toilet is one of the uniquely styled toilets today we are positive Seniors and elderly users will not only love to use but will certainly find visually appealing and comfortable. The appeal of this toilet however does not come from its aesthetics alone; rather, it comes from the practical nature of the toilet and the fact that it was thoughtfully manufactured.
Offering taller seating height for more comfort, the Thetford Aqua-Magic V Toilet offers a textured lid and the rather rare ability to resist scruffs – making the model easier to stay pristine even after many years of purchase, installation and actual use. Little wonder, it comes with an impressive 3 (three) year warranty.
What we like
- Unique and visually appealing styling.
- Taller seating height for more comfort.
- Three (3) year standard warranty (a rare reality with such products).
- Textured lid (that handles scratches and rough use rather well).
- An overall design/texture that resists scuffs.
- Lightweight…easy to transport, install, use and service.
- Easy to use one handle-flush.
What we dislike
- Some users would have preferred this toilet to flush more quietly.
- This toilet is not ideal for very large users.
A great many buyer opinions of this toilet came from females. That being said, the overall customer tempo was positive and customers drooled over the fact that the toilet is super easy to install (many said it took less than 15 minutes), stays cleaners than most models available today and importantly, flushes really, really good and neat.
5. Kohler K-3889-0 Highline Comfort Height Toilet
As earlier opined, it is quite difficult to go wrong with a Kohler – that’s the reason why this brand appears here again. The second reason is that, Kohlers are naturally durable, clean, simple and efficient. In these regards, the Kohler K-3889-0 Highline Comfort Height Toilet is a ‘true breed’ and lives up to the expectation in an awesome fashion.
With an elongated toilet bowl – accompanied with a seat height comparable to that of a standard chair, the Kohler K-3889-0 makes sitting down and standing up easier and less of a task for users, especially the aged and the elderly. With a 3-bolt installation system and pre-installed tank bolts to save installation time, it is no wonder that the model is particularly loved and favored by elderly users and Senior Citizens.
What we like
- Elongated bowl that adds to the overall comfort of users.
- Chair like height bowl that makes it super easy for the elderly to sit down and stand up.
- 3-bolt Installation (3 pre-installed tank bolts save installation time).
- Clean, simple design and efficient performance that typically requires only 1.28 gallon per flush as against the traditional 3.5 gallons.
- Powerful flush that sees all the bowl content pushed down the drain in a second.
What we dislike
There is absolutely nothing to hate or dislike about this toilet. The good thing is that, buyers and actual users also completely agree with us.
Buyer opinions about this toilet are really positive – users are practically in love. However, the hit points remain a really great toilet that is excellently packed to avoid shipping mishaps and the reality that blockages ceased to be once this model was installed and used.
Getting the best toilet for elderly or senior citizens isn’t something that is exactly easy – neither can this task be comfortably carried out without proper guidance. Thanks however to this guide, you now know not just what to look out for but also the exact models you should be taking a closer (and interested) look at.