Walking, running and jumping are all pretty easy if you’re less than 60 years old. As a matter of fact, you can afford to do all these without conscious thought, as they are activities that are (normally) reduced to second nature.
However, after sixty or thereabout, things naturally become trickier — making walking a reality that without an express walking aid, you’ll dread — either as a Senior or as a caregiver. One of such indispensable aid (that will come to your aid at such a time) is a walker or walking frame.
- What are walkers?
- Advantages of walkers with seats
- Walkers/ rollators for seniors: Things to consider before buying
- Best walkers with seats for elderly seniors: Our top 5 picks
- 1. Hugo Elite Rollator Walker
- 2. Drive Medical Aluminum Rollator Walker
- 3. Medline Bariatric Rollator Walker
- 4. Drive Medical Four Wheel Rollator
- 5. Hugo Portable Rollator Walker
- Wrap up
What are walkers?
Walkers, like their name, are walking aids that assist the elderly and infirm with the process of moving from one place to another, usually, on their own. Also called walking frames, they provide support (much like a walking pole) but ensure a more holistic aid process than mere walking sticks.
Walkers provide a more holistic support aid process because they are built with complete support in mind. Engineered with seats and other sophisticated accessories such as brakes, they remain the support aid of choice when indeed, walking support is paramount – and utterly of the essence.
Used majorly by the elderly, those recovering from an illness and those whose legs no longer expressly support their weight, it remains one of the smartest options for assisting those who need to move from one place to another but are unable to do so safely on their own. Classic examples include the aged, Seniors, the elderly and the infirm.
Advantages of walkers with seats
Not all walkers come with seats. However, it is our honest opinion that a walker or rollator without a seat is not worth the express time or investment. Here is why we think so:
- A walker or rollator with a seat provides an easy (and handy) chair for the elderly users. Given that age is not on the side of such users, it is natural that they’ll need to rest from time to time.
- A walker with a seat provides added assurance to both the user and caregiver that in the event of an emergency, the elderly user will have a comfortable place to sit before help comes along.
- A rollator/walker with a seat also has the added advantage of serving as a wheel-chair when the need arises. When this is the case, both the elderly user and caregiver will be thankful that the model is so equipped.
- Further, a walker/rollator with a seat also serves as a storage/carriage (without any need for further modification). This makes it easy for the aged user to transport light things when in transit.
- Finally, a walker with a seat provides an easy carriage for a child below the age of 5. Though this is not expressly encouraged, a grandfather or grandmother will fare better with a kid in the seat of a rollator than have that child running or crawling behind, risking tripling good old grandpa or grandma:)
Walkers/ rollators for seniors: Things to consider before buying
Before you dole out money to purchase a walker or a rollator as an elderly person (or for a Senior Citizen as either a relative or caregiver), there are some important points to note and carefully consider.
The ones mentioned below are the most important:
- A walker/rollator without a seat is pretty useless…make certain that whatever model you choose to go by, it is properly equipped with a seat before you invest your money in it.
- A walker without an express storage unit should also be ignored. This point may however be discountenanced if the seat can be worked to also serve as a storage unit.
- A walker or rollator without good brakes (or without brakes at all) should not be bought or even considered. This is so because, without awesome and very efficient brakes, an accident is bound to happen sooner than later.
- Good tires are also a must for a rollator due to be used by a Senior. The trick here is to opt for models with larger than normal extremely durable tires. This is a must.
- The joints and overall construction of your chosen walker or rollator should be factored. Poorly constructed walkers or rollators will only ensure that money that should have been expended on something else is spent on replacements.
- A good walker/rollator should be light – and non-bulky. Aside this, it should also be manufactured in such a manner that it can easily be folded and put in the trunk of a car or stored away when not in use.
- Finally, the finishing of the seat of your chosen rollator should be awesome leather or durable cloth. No one appreciates looking shabby or dirty:)
The good news is that, all the models we have reviewed below fully satisfy all the above conditions. You are thus assured that you’ll be getting the very best if you buy any of the recommended models.
Shall we fire?
Best walkers with seats for elderly seniors: Our top 5 picks
Carefully reviewed below are our top 5 (five) best walkers for elderly. Enjoy:
1. Hugo Elite Rollator Walker
The Hugo Elite Rollator Walker is clearly one of the very best walkers you can find online today. Engineered with a height adjustable mechanism for the seat and powered with a built-in seat and backrest, this is clearly a Senior’s dream especially when the little storage bag is factored in the picture and the Senior is sure that his/her grandchild can be surprised with sweets and snacks, neatly tucked away J
Foldable and easy to fit into most car trunks, the Hugo Rollator is truly an ‘elite’ walker. The deal closer of this walker however remains the large 8 inch wheels that give elders and Senior users confidence and stability when walking either indoors or outdoors.
What we like
- Two (2) inch height adjustable built-in seat that ensures users of all statures are comfortably accommodated when seated.
- Backrest that ensures elderly users are not stressed up when they are seated.
- Easy brake access that ensures Senior users easily access them without much ado.
- (Convenient) under seat and additional saddle bag for storage of valuables.
- Tool free assembly. This makes even elderly users and Seniors ‘professionals’ when it comes to the assembly of this walker…all without any previous knowledge, education or experience.
- Foldaway design that fits into the trunk of most cars and allows for (better) space utilization when not in use.
- Extra-large 8” wheels for enhanced stability, assurance and security when walking both indoors and outdoors.
What we dislike
- A sticker is placed right on the seat…we find this annoying!
- Some users complained that the walker does not fold very easily.
For the price point, customers opined that it is next to impossible to get a better option. In particular, users opined that they are in love with the seat, back support and storage of the walker. The walker, in smart summary, exceeds the expectations of most users/customers.
2. Drive Medical Aluminum Rollator Walker
The Drive Medical Aluminum Rollator Walker is one of the very few walkers engineered with the utmost safety of users in mind (in this case, Senior Citizens and the elderly). If you’re concerned about the safety of the elderly user and would appreciate a model that won’t fail you, you won’t go wrong with this Drive Medical model.
Engineered with a height adjustment system and finished with 7.5” black non-marring tires, it is ideal for both outdoor and indoor use. When the seamless padded seat opens to a roomy, convenient, zippered storage pouch, it is difficult for either users or prospective users to hide their joy!
What we like
- Padded seat for smart use by seniors/the elderly.
- Zippered pouch for added privacy/security of items.
- Removable, hinged, padded backrest.
- Easy-to-use deluxe loop locks and brakes with serrated edges to provide a firm hold.
- Ergonomic handles that are easy to grip and are adjustable.
- Support of up to 300 lbs.
What we dislike
- Some users opined that it rolls faster than they would have liked.
- Other users opined that the seat suit taller users better.
The selling point of this walker is that it is practical and lightweight. The fact that users/customers could easily maneuver this walker is its greatest advantage and is clearly the reason it has recorded so many sales and garnered positive reviews in the process.
3. Medline Bariatric Rollator Walker
Hands down, the Medline Bariatric Rollator Walker is one of the best looking, functional and super practical rollator walker money can buy today. Reinforced to bear enormous weights (up to 400lbs), this walker is super ideal for the larger Seniors who need a super stylish and extremely practical walker that will not fail them, no matter what.
Engineered with 8” wheels and reinforced with forks and spokes for extra strength, the Medline Bariatric also doubles as extra wide, ensuring that very tall users do not have any problem with using it and heavy users seat without any concern in its padded seat (which has a Velcro pocket underneath).
For very tall and particularly large elders, this walker is the real deal:)
What we like
- Reinforced design to support higher weight capacities.
- Sturdy light-weight aluminum frame: weighs only 19 lbs.
- Padded backrest and seat…these prove really handy especially with large Seniors who need to rest after a while.
- Extra-wide seat with Velcro pocket underneath (for smart storage).
- Supports up to an impressive 400lbs (which is rare for a walker or rollator).
- Folds easily for storage.
What we dislike
- Due to its sturdy nature, the walker is wider than other rollators in its class…users thus have challenges using it to access tight corners.
- Some short customers have complained that using the walker is a bit challenging.
Users love the Medline Bariatric Rollator primarily for three (3) awesome reasons that are difficult to miss: its sturdy nature, ease of use and importantly, the ability of the walker to bear enormous weights and not strain – or give way.
4. Drive Medical Four Wheel Rollator
If you’re interested in a rollator or walker that can convey items in the fashion of a traditional shopping cart – and still serve awesomely when it comes to the business of helping to walk Seniors or assisting the elderly with support (when they stand or walk) and an awesome seat when they desire to sit down, you won’t go wrong with the Drive Medical Four Wheel Rollator.
Designed primarily for the outdoors and fun seeking Seniors who do not desire that the quality of their life be inhibited or interfered with simply because of their present age (or inability), users will find out that the comfort – made possible by a durable, padded seat and an amazingly large basket for the storage of personal items, is really a rare sight and a completely novel and powerful design/engineering effort.
What we like
- Convenient mobility with a comfortable, restful seat.
- Deluxe hand brake can be pressed when needed or pushed down to lock rollator into place.
- Easy-turn lever for quick height adjustment.
- Large 7.5′ caster wheels are great for indoor and outdoor use.
- Comfortable padded seat and backrest.
- Easily folds for transport or storage.
- Large cart-like storage basket.
What we dislike
- Some customers who are not used to walkers may need professional help in assembling this walker.
- The fact that the basket has to be removed before the walker will be folded is an obvious design flaw.
Users/customers of this product love the fact that the rollator is properly made, pretty easy to transport and reasonably priced. The large storage basket is also a deal closer for many who are interested in carting their personal effects wherever they happen to go.
5. Hugo Portable Rollator Walker
If you’re a Senior citizen who needs to walk both outside and indoors a lot and would appreciate a walker that is steady, gives you easy access to the brakes and importantly, ensures that you always get a seat when you desire to sit down after a walk, the Hugo Portable Rollator Walker is your best bet.
Designed with a built-in seat and a convenient storage bag under the seat, the Hugo Portable Rollator Walker also does not skim on comfort, sturdiness or durability. Accordingly, the unit is designed with a backrest, height adjustable handles, extra- large 8” wheels and a host of other awesome features and specs that would easily win over even the determined skeptic.
What we like
- Built in (very comfortable) seat with an apt backrest.
- Smart and super convenient storage bag under the seat.
- Tool free assembly that can be set up even by (a) non-professional(s).
- Height adjustable handlebars for users with varying heights.
- Extra-large 8” wheels for supreme balance and confidence, especially when outdoors.
- Impressive brake access.
- Fits nicely into a great many car trunks.
What we dislike
- Some customers who are over 90 complained that they had challenges opening the rollator for use when folded.
- Users who are less than 5 feet tall complained that they had challenges using this rollator.
Some customers who are not used to walkers may need (initial) help in getting used to this walker, especially when it comes to using it on tiled or very smooth surfaces. Aside this fact, customers of this rollator are really in love with it and many opined that they would buy it again without much ado.
For many Seniors/elderly persons, a walke or rollator is the first walking aid they use. However, there are a few Senior Citizens who would rather prefer a cane or walking stick. While a walking stick has its place, it is often risky and not worth the trial, especially when it is understood that walkers are really cheap, affordable and provide support that is unparalleled.