There are numerous devices out there that are geared toward improving seniors’ lives and giving them more freedom. A GPS tracker is a device that can allow elderly caregivers to keep an eye on their loved ones when they are out of the house.
GPS trackers have many features, but these devices have been developed with the elderly in mind and place emphasis on functions such as health metrics and emergency buttons.
These devices are fantastic for seniors with dementia or Alzheimer’s since those individuals tend to wonder.
A GPS tracker can be a lifesaver and keep them from getting lost while still staying active. Some GPS trackers even come with a silver alert function to help authorities locate your loved one should it become necessary.
These trackers have come a long way in design and function and are sleek and compact for easy handling. They are discrete and can even be placed in the bottom of a bag or hung around the neck. Being able to track your loved one in an emergency can be a lifesaver.If you are looking for a GPS device for yourself or your loved one, you should consider these factors:
- Different GPS trackers can be used depending on your general need. If you are looking for something discrete, you might look into something that can be work around the neck or placed in a pocket.
- Month Service Fees- Many of the models available today come with monthly service fees. This is due to the cellular technology required to pinpoint the location. There are some devices with no fees, but most of them require a small monthly payment.
- Many trackers come with additional features. These trackers might have bundled features such as health metrics, measurements, or fitness tracking. The best feature to consider is an emergency SOS button feature or audio monitoring.
- If you are looking for a tracker that will work nationwide, you might need to invest in the more expensive GPS tracking model, providing a more extended range of services.
To help you find the best GPS for your needs, we have seen some of the best GPS trackers available on the market today. These are high-quality models that deliver results without breaking the bank. While each model can be used slightly differently, these are all high-quality devices built to last.
Are you in a hurry?
Here is the best overall choice for elderly personal tracking devices and a quick overview of the features:
The PocketFinder is a sleek and straightforward design that is easy to use and features several technologies packed into one small device. This model features Cell IS, Google WiFi Touch, GPS, and highly accurate indoor/outdoor location. It also comes with an SOS emergency button.
PocketFinder models allow you to quickly locate, track, and monitor your loved one by simply logging into your PocketFinder account. You can access the report from either a web page or the free iOS and Android devices in the app store. Several different users can track the location at once using integrated Google Maps. You can also receive alerts when the user arrives at their destination and create geofences to keep them out of danger.
- Downloadable 60-day history
- Google WiFi touch to locate the device indoors
- Ability to set up safe and out of bounds zones
- Alerts are highly customizable.
- Can locate every 10 minutes or 10 seconds depending on your needs
- Military-grade encryption tech
- Water-resistant up to 3 feet.
OUR TOP PICK
The patented PocketFinder Tracker technology allows you to make sure your loved ones are always safe and sound.
This model utilizes three unique location technologies and can transmit data from a Global GSM wireless network. This tracking device is perfect for caregivers and families to keep in contact with and track the people they love most. It is an excellent choice for seniors who take pride in their independence and want to venture out alone safely.
The PocketFinder can locate your family member from any smartphone or computer. Here are some of the more detailed features of our top pick:
- Location Tracking Technology- This model uses three independent technologies to track your loved one from anywhere. It can use GPS, WiFi, Google Touch, or Cell-ID data and integrates these services into google maps.
- Updating- The pocket tracker has several updating selections that will refresh location every 10 minutes, 1 minute, or 10 seconds.
- Geo-Fences- You also can create geo-fences, which will send notifications if the user enters an off-limits area.
- Low Battery Notification- You will never have to worry about losing service because this model comes with a power cut notification as well as battery level notification to keep it up and running.
- Speed Notifications- In addition to location, the PocketFinder keeps track of the speed it is traveling at. You will be able to tell if your loved one is walking or is in a vehicle.
- SOS Feature- Your loved one will be able to notify you of any issues or danger with a convenient SOS button for emergencies.
We chose the PocketFinder as our top pick because not only is it high tech, but it is easy to use for users of all experience levels.
iTraq can determine its position using WiFi, GPS, or by connecting to a cell tower. This triangulation technology allows iTraq to be located anywhere in the world that there is a cellular connection available. This device also comes with fall detection, geofencing, and scheduled reporting options. Another great feature of this device is that the battery charge can last up to four-month on a single charge.
- Ability to update position every ten seconds.
- Can connect to 3G with a built-in sim-card slot. It also uses 2G when 3G services are unavailable. The cellular service requires a $4 per month subscription or a pre-paid bundled package.
- The device is small and lightweight, waterproof, and shockproof. It is perfect for tracking any user.
- It also comes with a free smartphone or desktop app that allows you to set up geo-fences and different alerts.
- It comes with a complimentary silicon case and a wireless charger.
Trax is one of the most popular tracking devices available today. This model comes with a built-in sim card that requires a monthly subscription service similar to a cellular phone. The service itself has several options, and you can choose the data plan that best suits your needs. When you activate the data plan, the built-in SIM card will connect automatically to the Trax cellular network.
From there, you can track the device using a desktop or mobile app that you can download in the app store. The only downside to this device is that it does not work on WiFI networks and requires a data plan to function.
Here are some of the top features of the Trax G+ tracker:
- Wireless Charging- You will never have to worry about managing cables or plugging in to charge your device. Simply drop your tracker on the charging mat and let it charge.
- Water-Resistant- This unit offers a great deal of water protection, which can withstand water up to 1 meter and remain there for over 30 minutes.
- Safe and Secure: This model is highly mobile and can be used in a variety of ways. It can be clipped to clothing or a backpack, dropped in a pouch, or strapped to your wrist.
Our editor chose the Trax G+ because it is one of the most straightforward models to use for both sides. The elderly will have no issues learning how the device works, and it is built to be durable and handle any conditions.
The Tracki 2021 model is an excellent choice for seniors since it focuses on accuracy and real-time location mapping. This model was created using the proprietary tracking software and utilizes the GL-300 GPS tracking device. The company Spy Tec is an industry leader in GPS devices, so you know you are getting a quality product.
Here are some of the best features offered by the Tracki 2021:
- Able to cover an unlimited distance worldwide.
- The monthly fee of $19.95 but can be as low as $9.95 with a prepaid plan.
- This model is highly portable and only 30% of the size of other comparable models.
- Wif-fi tracking indoors
- It can be set to ping after 15 seconds.
- Comes with numerous accessories, including a magnet, belt clip, keychain, and lanyard.
The AngelSense Personal GPS is an excellent personal tracking device for the elderly, especially those with Alzheimer’s or dementia. The AngelSense will instantly send an alert when the user leaves their home. It also comes with an audio feature that allows for calls without using a phone.
This tracker also provides all-day monitoring and allows you to locate your loved one in case of an emergency quickly. The advanced GPS monitoring system will update you frequently with any location updates. The speakerphone is a great feature that allows for communication at any time. Additionally, it has an SOS button that can alert you in emergencies.
The intelligent alert feature gives potential alerts when a user has departed early or left later. It also has live route tracking and speed alerts. Additional emergency search tools allow you to screen the location of the wearer within a live map setting.
Lastly, this model comes complete with a step counter, a school dashboard, and a location activity rewind feature.
Here is an overview of the best features offered by the AngelSense Tracker
- The first month of service is free of charge.
- Tracking is continuous and unlimited.
- Intelligent alerts allow the app to keep track of daily routines and alert you if the user goes into unusual situations.
- Two-way communication is possible through the speakerphone features.
- SOS emergency button is included.
- If there is an emergency, you can quickly activate the emergency link to send a response team to the location.
- This device is fully customized and auto-detects places, names, guardians, and sets permissions.
- Easy to use app is available for iOS and Android devices.
Buyers Guide: Things to Consider Before Buying The Best Personal Tracking Devices For Elderly Safety
Real-time monitoring system
Personal tracking devices for the elderly are typically enabled with real-time monitoring systems. These systems track the location of your loved ones or their vehicles in a matter of seconds. The GPS location is imprinted on a live map and any additional safety alerts you have set up. These alerts are generally set up to notify of stoppage, idling, or even speeding when they are in a car.
Real-Time Geo-Fencing Technology
Geo-fencing is a great feature that is perfect for elderly users. The guardian is able to set up geographical boundaries that are “fences” on the map. When the user crosses over any of these fences, you will receive an alert. This helps to protect users from going anywhere that is dangerous or that they shouldn’t go.
Modern GPS trackers are also equipped with emergency SOS features within their respective applications. Just in case your loved one is ever in an emergency situation, you will be able to send an alert to your pre-set contact in only a few seconds. The SOS button is a must-have feature when you are buying a personal tracking device for elderly safety.
These GPS devices are designed to be not only sturdy but also waterproof and weatherproof. These devices are also entirely secure and protected by their own encryption measures. They have become so popular and widely used due to their compact and sleek design, allowing users to carry them with them everywhere.
A voice monitoring feature is also a smart option for those looking for their loved ones’ constant care. The two-way voice calls allow caregivers to talk to their loved ones at any time and is very handy in the case of emergencies. The device and even answer automatically if your loved one has had an accident or fall. Only authorized numbers can contact this function, so you never have to worry about privacy.
Frequently Asked Questions on Best Tracking Devices For Elderly Safety
When should I start to consider a tracking device for my loved one?
In most cases, wandering typically occurs when dementia reaches stage 6. This stage can last around two years on average. Dementia is generally divided into seven individual steps, and each lasts anywhere from 2-2.5 years. The duration of these stages can vary depending on environmental factors.
Can you prevent an older person from leaving the house?
If your loved one is prone to wandering or leaving the house without your knowledge, they must have a GPS device on them at all times. Of course, it is equally as essential to make sure your home is safe and secure, and there are no open windows or exits for them to use. Make sure they also carry with them some form of ID in case they get lost.
One way to make sure those with dementia stay in the house more often is to establish good sleeping habits. Adhering to a regular schedule and performing routine activities will allow your loved ones to develop habits to keep them occupied.
A decent GPS tracker is a convenient solution to lessen your worries about your loved one leaving the house. You can quickly track their location to ensure that they are safe at all times. It is easy to set up geofences so you always have peace of mind that they are where they should be. They can stay in their everyday surroundings like a care facility, and you never have to stress about their location.
One of the most significant advantages of modern GPS trackers is that they are both small and inconspicuous. This makes them a perfect device for dementia patients who often become confused. In this article, we have selected some of the best models of personal tracking devices for elderly safety based on the review of customers and the features detailed in our buyer’s guide.
In our professional opinion, the best overall model is the PocketFinder GPS personal tracking device. This model offers excellent features at a low price, and the best part is, it is simple to use for both the elderly and caregivers alike.
If you are looking for a little more cost-effective model while still offering superb features, you should look at the Tracki 2021 model, which comes with excellent service and accessories for a low price.Many of these devices can also be used as health tracking devices so you can make sure your loved one is as healthy as they can be. A good quality personal tracking device will allow your loved one a sense of freedom while ensuring they are as safe as they can be.
Last update on 2021-06-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API