We bought and tested 9 devices to find the Best Simple Computers for Seniors taking into account different skill levels and budgets of all sizes.
If you're in a hurry, our top pick is the Acer Aspire 24" All-In-One Desktop. This piece of gear receives our stamp of approval for value, easy setup and customer rating (1,500+ reviews).
Also, we get it. Technology can be confusing. We have selected models that are easy to learn and appropriate for older individuals. However, if you wish to get more educated:
Now let’s talk about simple computers..
Simple Computer Comparison Table
Best Simple Computers for Seniors: Top 3 Models
OUR TOP PICK
This is the #1 best selling all-in-one desktop computer on Amazon for a reason.
The Acer Aspire 24” All-in-One AIO Desktop Computer is an impressive computer to say the least. Its generously sized 24” display is super large and renders all characters as clear as daylight, irrespective of the lighting set on the screen or the age of the user.
The computer runs on a 8th Generation processor, paired with 12 GB of RAM comes standard, ensuring that the computer performs at blazingly fast speeds.With 12GB of RAM and an 8th Generation processor, this packs a punch and will last for years to come.
One interesting feature of this computer is that features a full HD display with built-in speakers. Its slim, space-saving design is simple to use and looks great anywhere it is placed. More importantly, the computer allows the user to do anything they want to. No restrictions, and no limitations.
What’s more – there is an external 1MP webcam included (see top of image). That means you can stay in connect with friends and family via Skype, Facebook Video Chat or whatever video conferencing software you use.
- Newest 8th Gen Processor.
- 12 GB of RAM.
- Ultra-thin design – super lightweight.
- Acer VisionCare reduces eye strain, making more comfortable viewing.
- Built in stereo speakers.
- Includes webcam, speakers (built in), mouse, keyboard, display and computer.
- The built-in speakers could be better quality. But these can easily be replaced.
Designed specifically for seniors and their families, the Telikin Elite II-22” Touchscreen Computer takes the engineering of computers for the elderly and Baby boomers to a whole new level. This computer, for instance, features emails with large fonts, a big touch screen display, clear instructions and importantly, video tutorials.
The Telikin Elite runs on a 1.65 GHz AMD processor with Radeon graphics, and packs 2GB of RAM with 500GB of internal storage space, which is generous enough for any senior. And even at that, there’s a memory card slot for expanding the storage capacity. A stylus is also included for seniors who might be interested in using it. And the display has a resolution of 1,600 x 900 — not so impressive, but just adequate for elderly users.
To heighten the experience of elderly people, features such as Facebook, Skype, contacts, calendars and a plethora of games all come standard. The best part of this computer is that it offers automatic updates – indefinitely. This means that, you’ll never have to buy computer software or an OS ever again. Isn’t this computer worth considering?
- Designed specifically for seniors.
- High output and forward facing speakers.
- Automatic updates of programs and OS throughout the life term of the computer, free of cost.
- Preinstalled apps and programs.
- Free document processor that is MS Word compatible.
- This computer is compatible with only HP printers.
- Some customers are of the opinion that the price of this computer is a bit on the high side.
- Cannot be customized with your own games or programs.
With an expansive 15.6” touchscreen display, LED powered backlight and weighing only 3.7lbs, the Acer Aspire 5 is the very first laptop computer on our list that is ideal for the elderly.
This laptop computer also sports an impressive 8th Generation processor. This is the latest generation so it will last for years to come. Also paired with 4GB of RAM and 128GB HDD. This ensures speed and sees to it that operations on the laptop are carried out as quickly and as efficiently as possible. Aside this, the laptop also features a full sized keyboard and an ergonomic keyboard. We’ve tested it and it’s really easy on the fingers!
We made this PC our top pick because it can do anything a senior wants to do on PC, and it’s portable. It also has a large screen, so seniors won’t have to struggle to read what’s on display. It’s worth every dollar spent on it.
- Large 15.6” display.
- Full sized ergnonomic keyboard.
- Very light and easy to carry at only 3.97lbs.
- Over 20,000 Reviews (Avg 4.6 Rating)
- The power button being next to the delete button is sometimes tedious
- Could do with more RAM. Upgrade or up your budget.
Simple Computers for Elderly Users - Buying Guide & FAQ
Why should seniors consider simple computers?
Seniors need ultra-simple computers if they are to engage in computing related tasks – successfully and importantly, enjoy the process.
Here are 3 rock solid points to back up our assertion:
- Ordinary computers are often too complex for seniors and the elderly. Accordingly thus, they often stand a better chance of success with a computer when they use dedicated options that also double as simple.
- Sight is something most seniors have challenges with. Simple computers that are ideal for seniors are made especially with the rare ability to render characters abnormally large and if this proves insufficient, also pronounce the characters as they are typed or displayed on the screen.
- Simple computers are made in such a manner that their operation is straightforward and often, they do not have a plethora of options that are likely to confuse the elderly user. Accordingly, what they have learnt and mastered won’t easily be forgotten, a scenario that is all too common when the elderly attempt the use of regular computers.
Now that we’ve seen that elderly people indeed need special computers if they are to enjoy the concept of computing and importantly, enjoy the globalized world, let’s now take a look at what you should be looking at when you go shopping for a computer as a Senior or for a Senior Citizen.
What to look out for when buying a simple computer
If you’re shopping for a computer for an elderly person, kindly make certain that you look for the under listed features – they are very important if the end user is to enjoy his/her new computer.
Here we go:
- Make certain that the computer sports a good keyboard. By ‘good keyboard’ on a computer for Senior citizens, it is meant that, the keyboard ought to be large – with very clear prints/fonts. Further, the keys ought to be spaced in such a manner that would present the least stress to the elderly user.
- If the computer is a laptop variant (or has an inbuilt battery), it is of utmost importance to make certain that the internal battery has an impressive run time. Seniors, it is to be remembered, are not at their best when it comes to charging their devices.
- Computers for seniors must also be hassle free when it comes to setup. This means that, the cables ought to be as few as possible and everything that relates to its operation positioned in such as a manner that a novice would have no challenge operating it.
- If you’re buying a computer for a Senior citizen, making certain that the unit is light enough to carry is important. This is so whether or not the computer is the desktop or laptop variant. The reason for this is clear: the failing strength of seniors makes it impractical if they are tasked with computers that prove unnecessarily heavy, especially when they desire to move them from one place to another.
- Finally, computers for seniors ought to have built in programs that are already ready for use. This means that, such programs and apps such as Microsoft Word, Facebook, Google Chrome, Skype etc. all need to be pre-installed if the Senior/elderly user is going to make sense of the new computer.
Last update on 2021-01-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API