Most seniors have swollen feet because they tend to be less active, which results in the buildup of fluid in their feet. More commonly, however, swollen feet in the elderly is caused by certain health conditions, such as obesity, diabetes, arthritis, heart disease, kidney disease, liver disease, and some others.
For seniors with swollen feet, one of the best management practices is to avoid wearing tight-fitting shoes, which could cause worse problems like fractures, foot ulcers, and disability. Rather, shoes that adjust easily to expanding feet volume are highly recommended.
So, elderly people with swollen feet are not free to wear just any shoes they like. They need to figure out if those shoes are suitable for them or not.
Shoes for swollen feet elderly: What to look for
If you’re a senior with swollen feet or a caregiver to an elderly parent with swollen feet, there are some things to look out for when buying shoes. And here are some of those things to look for, to avoid making the wrong choice.
- Size: Swollen feet are bigger than normal, but that doesn’t mean oversized shoes are the solution. Sometimes, feet swellings do subside, and this can render oversized shoes useless. Similarly, foot swellings can increase and thereby render normal-sized but rigid shoes useless. So, it’s best to buy normal-sized shoes that really adjust to the size of the feet at any time.
- Weight: Heavy shoes are difficult to carry. They’re more difficult for seniors to carry, and they can be even more difficult for seniors with swollen feet, which are sometimes painful. It goes without saying, but shoes for seniors with swollen feet must be as lightweight as possible.
- Comfort: Shoes for swollen feet seniors must be comfortable enough to accommodate their feet regardless of the swelling makes them assume. This explains why shoes with well-padded interiors or adjustable Velcro flaps are best for such seniors.
- Ease of use: The ideal shoes for seniors are those that can be worn and pulled off without assistance. Shoes with shoelaces or buckles can be very difficult to cope with. So, you must always favor shoes with Velcro fasteners because they’re very easy to wear and pull off.
- Durability: Of course, you sure don’t want to start looking around for another pair of shoes anytime soon. So, it’s better to keep durability in mind when shopping for shoes for elderly ones with swollen feet. Knowing the durability of a pair of shoes can be difficult if you’re shopping online, but you can get some valuable insights by reading customer reviews of it.
- Color: While this might sound trivial, it’s actually one of the very important factors to consider. Color alone can motivate seniors to wear their shoes more often or discourage them from doing that. So, if you’re a caregiver, you want to find out what color would be preferred by the seniors you’re taking care of.
Reviews of the best shoes for seniors with swollen feet
The market is flooded with shoes of various brands and kinds. And making the right choice from the pack can be a head scratching experience, especially when you’re looking for the right shoes for seniors battling with the problem of swollen feet.
But here’s good news: We’ve scoured the online marketplace for various shoes that adjust to changing feet sizes, and we’re able to figure out the best options based on buyer opinion, brand reputation, cost, and other important factors. And below are some of the best candidates.
Best shoes for swollen feet (elderly men)
Here are two of the best shoes for elderly men with swollen feet.
OUR TOP PICK
The Propet Men’s MPED3 Pedwalker 3 Oxford is a sturdy shoe made of leather and nylon. It comes with a top Velcro fastener, which makes easy to wear and pull off, and to adjust to any size of the feet. The sole is made of rubber and the interior has a mesh lining and a padded collar. With these, in addition with the double air-infused rubber in-soles, comfort is guaranteed because there’s more than enough cushioning to take pressure off the wearer’s feet.
In terms of durability, the Propet’s Pedwalker 3 has got it — thanks to the combination of neoprene and full-grain leather used on the exterior, which makes it resistant to harsh weather. And if you’re a stickler for good looks and elegance, the Propet Men’s MPED3 Pedwalker 3 Oxford shoe has got that, too.
As of the time of this writing, the Propet Men’s MPED3 Pedwalker 3 Oxford had 208 customer reviews on Amazon.com. 59 percent of these were 5-star ratings and 22 percent were 4-start rating. That’s 81 percent buyer satisfaction. Overall rating presently stands at 4.5 out of 5 stars.
The Propet Men’s Cush n Foot Shoe is a lightweight shoe that also comes with a Velcro fastener, which makes it ideal for elderly men who are battling with the problem of swollen feet. It has a durable flat synthetic sole made of polyurethane, and it comes with a removable terrycoat insole that feels wonderful on the feet.
In all, the Propet Men’s Cush n Foot gives a snug, supportive feel that makes your feet comfortable even if you have them on for several hours. And it offers excellent traction for both indoor and outdoor use.
The Propet Men’s Cush n Foot Shoe presently has 190 customer reviews on Amazon.com. 62 percent are 5-star ratings and 16 percent are 4-star ratings. That’s 78 percent customer satisfaction. Overall rating is presently 4.2 out of 5 stars.
Best shoes for swollen feet (elderly women)
And here are the best shoes for elderly women who are having the problem of swollen feet.
OUR TOP PICK
The Propet Women’s Olivia Slip-On Shoe is made of a supple leather upper and sports a stretchable vamp. As with others on this list, it comes with a tongue and hook fastener, which makes it easy for seniors to wear and pull off at will.
What makes this shoe perfect for elderly women (with swollen feet) is that the strap is adjustable, and the removable REX insole accommodates custom orthics, thereby providing maximum comfort. So, you can rest assured that you’ll always get a perfect fit.
However, the Propet Women’s Olivia Slip-On Shoe comes with one downside: the leather mesh isn’t easy to clean. So, if you wear them outside where they’re likely to attract dirt, get ready for a bit of hard work while cleaning. Aside that, everything else is cool.
The Propet Women’s Olivia Slip-On Shoe presently has 117 buyer reviews on Amazon.com with an overall rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars and customer satisfaction of 77 percent — 62 percent 5-star ratings and 15 percent 4-star ratings.
The Propet Women’s Cronus Comfort Sneaker is made of neoprene and sports a durable rubber sole. It was particularly made to provide maximum comfort to people with swollen or painful feet. This explains why it was made of neoprene, a breathable material that easily stretches to accommodate changing feet sizes.
In addition, the Propet Women’s Cronus Comfort Sneaker comes with a Velcro strap and a removable rubber insole, both providing maximum cushioning and flexibility to the wearer.
One downside of the Propet Women’s Cronus Comfort Sneaker is that is offers no arch support. But that’s not an issue if it would mostly be worn indoors.
As at the time of this writing, the Propet Women’s Cronus Comfort Sneaker had 198 customer reviews on Amazon.com. Of this total, 56 percent were 5-star ratings and 21 percent were 4-star ratings. That’s 77 percent customer satisfaction. Overall rating stood at 4.2 out of 5 stars.
Last update on 2022-05-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API